Ordering a birth certificate through AMA is as easy as 1-2-3:
1) Decide which type of birth certificate you want to order, as Alberta has two:
- Birth certificate with personal information.
- Birth certificate with personal information and birthplace of parents. When there is only one parent listed on the Registration of Birth, only that parent and their information will appear.
2) Check your eligibility to apply (pdf).
3) Visit any AMA centre to order your birth certificate, or mail us your completed Vital Statistics Request form* (pdf). To view this Government of Alberta form in Chrome or Safari, save the PDF (right mouse click and 'Save Link As') then open in Acrobat.
If you choose to come in, remember to bring:
- Your AMA membership card, as this is an AMA/CAA/AAA member service
- One piece of acceptable personal identification
- Your completed Application for Birth Documents* (pdf)
Once ordered, your birth certificate should arrive in the mail within seven to 10 days. If you’d like to have it sooner, you can pick it up in person – just ask us!
Photocopy of Registration
We can also help you with photocopies of registration, which are certified photocopies of original birth registrations versus an actual certificate.