Roadside Assistance Rules and Regulations
Our 24/7 Roadside Assistance is the most trusted towing and rescue fleet in Alberta, and it’s exclusive to AMA members. We’ll help with any roadside emergency, whether you’ve run out of gas on the side of the road, locked your keys in the car, or you need a tow or boost. And our CAA and AAA affiliates across North America help make sure you’re protected no matter where you travel.
As with anything, there is some fine print. But we’ve tried not to make it too painful!
- We limit Roadside Assistance service to our members. Not part of the club yet? We’d be happy to help you become a member.
- We want to take care of you, not somebody pretending to be you. Please show our service providers your valid membership card, along with your driver’s licence or government-issued photo ID, when they arrive. If they can’t confirm you’re a member, they’ll charge you at the going commercial rates (you can be reimbursed later if the mistake was ours).
- As a member or associate member, you get up to five Roadside Assistance calls per membership year. If you need more than that, we’ll kindly ask you to pay for the service.
- Kids Go Free members will share the five Roadside Assistance calls per membership year with the Primary Member. Additional friendly conditions do apply.
- We’ll accept your personal cheque for roadside assistance costs in an emergency – up to $350 per occurrence.
- If you think you may need more coverage, consider upgrading before you run into trouble. CAA Plus and CAA Plus RV can’t be purchased for immediate use or to cover pre-existing conditions (for instance, a longer tow).
As a member, we’ve got your back in most situations. We just can’t cover every situation you might find yourself in. Some examples are:
- Second or additional trips related to the same call/incident, including re-tows from residence to a repair facility.
- Service to vehicles driven into areas not designed for public travel – private commercial roads, forestry trunk roads, vacant lots, creek beds, frozen lakes, etc.
- For your protection, service isn't typically provided to an unattended vehicle.
- Service to vehicles without a valid registration and licence plate.
- Extra kilometer charges.
- Towing under police direction or due to an infraction of the law.
- Cost of fuel, parts or supplies (we do deliver fuel to all levels of membership though! CAA Plus and CAA Plus RV members get it for free).
- Cost of tire or mechanical repairs.
- Storage and impound fees.
- Taxi, ferry or toll charges.
- Vehicle rental expenses.
You may not know that:
- Members are entitled to free towing, up to the distance limit indicated for your membership, in any direction from the point of disablement OR to the nearest responding Roadside Assistance contractor’s base OR to a facility en route. Members will pay for mileage beyond the outlined limits at commercial rates.
- Members, or their designated representatives, who cannot accompany the disabled vehicle or meet the tow truck operator at the destination must book a repair facility and pay applicable mileage charges in advance. This is also required if the tow is needed within the Edmonton or Calgary boundaries.
- AMA is not able to tow a vehicle from one facility to another until one agrees to make the repairs.
- AMA Roadside Assistance Service Providers are independent businesses and not employees of the CAA or its affiliates. Responsibility for loss, damage, or unsatisfactory workmanship remains with the AMA RSA Service Provider supplying the service.
Vehicles We Can Provide Service To:
- Four-wheeled motor-driven vehicles of the passenger, pleasure, or recreational type (regardless of licence plate designation), and conventional pedal bikes, if those services can be safely delivered.
- Campers/motorhomes will be provided all services except towing, extrication/recovery and tire service. Dual-wheel unloaded pickup trucks are provided all services except tire service.
- For trailer coverage, see CAA Plus RV
Plus and Premier Membership
- The same vehicles as covered under the Basic Membership.
- Full coverage is extended to Motorcycles.
Plus RV and Premier RV Membership
- There is no weight restriction on eligible passenger, pleasure or recreational vehicles for towing, winching and tire changes.
- Full coverage is extended to all types of non-commercial trailers.
Vehicles We Can’t Provide Service To:
- For-hire vehicles (taxis, limousines)
- Or as deemed by CAA/AAA