We offer our sympathies for your loss, and want to help you through this difficult time by simplifying the required steps to ordering a death certificate.
Step One: Decide which type of death certificate you want to order, as Alberta has three:
1. Death Certificate Framing Size: 21.5 cm x 17.8 cm
Included on the Framing Size Certificate of Death:
- The name, sex, age and marital status of the deceased
- Date, time, and place of death
- Usual place of residence
- Registration number and date
2. Copy of Medical Certificate of Death: 21.5 cm x 28 cm
Included on the Copy of Medical Certificate of Death:
- The medical cause of death
- The name of the attending physician or medical examiner that completed the medical Certificate of Death
Note: A photocopy of the medical certificate of death is completed at the time of death.
3. Copy of Registration of Death
- This is a certified photocopy of the original death registration, not the certificate itself
Step Two: Check your eligibility to apply (pdf).
Step Three: Visit an AMA centre to order your death certificate, or mail us your completed Vital Statistics Request form* (pdf).
If you choose to come in, remember to bring:
- Your AMA membership car, as this is an AMA/CAA/AAA member service
- One piece of personal identification
- Your completed Ordering Death Vital Statistics form* (pdf)
Once ordered, the death certificate should arrive in the mail within seven to 10 days. If you’d like to have it sooner, you can pick it up in person. Just ask and we'd be happy to help.
*To view these Government of Alberta forms in Chrome or Safari, save the PDF (right mouse click and 'Save Link As') then open in Acrobat.