Have a nickname or business name you’d like to share? Or maybe you just want to challenge people with figuring out your message at red lights? A personalized plate can be as unique as you are.
Criteria for a personalized plate include:
- The plate can have up to seven characters consisting of letters, numbers or a combination of both. Special characters, including hyphens, question marks, exclamation marks, etc., are not permitted.
- Motorcycles and off-highway vehicles are limited to a maximum of five characters
- Personalized plates can be issued for almost every registration class except Dealer, Antique or Disabled plates
- Requests for personalized plates can be rejected for any reason. Some examples that would cause a rejection of a licence plate configuration include: if they reference or translate to any human rights discrimination, political slurs, foul language, sexual references, political references, illegal activity, alcohol or controlled substances, or look-alikes to standard-issue licence plates or personalized plates already issued
When ordering your personalized (vanity) plate, we recommend having two or three alternate choices, in case your first choice isn’t available. Just bring your ideas to any AMA centre to order your plate, and make sure to bring:
- One Government of Alberta acceptable photo ID or support document
- A mailing address
We will ask you to pay for your personalized plate when your order it. A one-time fee covers the cost of the licence plate only. When your plate arrives (please allow six to eight weeks), visit any AMA centre to get your licence plate stickers and replacement registration.
Find an AMA Centre | Call 1-866-989-6370 for pricing