There’s nothing like hitting the open road in a brand new (or new-to-you) ride. But before you turn the key, remember: the law requires that you register the vehicle before driving it. Simply drop by any AMA centre with the following documents and we’ll help you out!
- One piece of Government of Alberta-approved photo ID or support document
- Original Bill of Sale* (pdf), lease agreement, or will (sorry, faxes or photocopies not accepted)
- Original New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS) from the dealer – this is needed only if your vehicle is new
- Proof of valid Alberta liability insurance (pink card) in the name(s) to appear on the vehicle registration
- Completed parent/guardian consent form* (PDF), if you’re under 18 years old (an adult must be present)
- AMA, CAA, or AAA membership card
*To view these Government of Alberta forms in Chrome or Safari, save the PDF (right mouse click and 'Save Link As') then open in Acrobat.
If two names appear on the ownership documents, or are needed for the vehicle registration, we require both signatures to complete the registration. If both people are not able to come into the AMA centre, please use this authorization form.